Gaiam Sol Dry-Grip Yoga Mat (5mm) Review
If you fancy yourself a yogi most invested in hot yoga, then you know how hard it can be to find a proper hot yoga mat that can support all the sweating involved in the practice. Fortunately, there is one such mat out there that can offer the support and stability you need while resting on a base so slip-resistant you’ll sometimes forget that it’s there.
The Gaiam Sol Dry-Grip Yoga Mat is an innovation brought about by Gaiam, a leading lifestyle brand dedicated to bringing yoga, fitness and total well-being into everyone’s live and as accessibly as possible. The Sol Dry-Grip Yoga Mat is a premium yoga mat created for yogis and designed by yogis, The Sol Dry-Grip Yoga Mat also allows you to go deeper into your postures during your hot yoga sessions and be as slip- and worry-free as much as possible.
The thicker cushioning also means that this is not a function-only mat; it’s also made with comfort in mind.
An incredibly well-made mat with so much to offer for heavy-sweating fitness activities, the GaiamSol Dry-Grip Yoga Mat is a popular and well-thought choice for yogis who enjoy hot yoga the most.
- Made with high-grade, lightweight PVC backing materials designed for sweatier activities; completely latex-free; 6P-(phthalates) free: DEHP, DBP, BBP, DINP, DIDP, and DNOP phthalates; moisture-deterrent topcoat that wicks out sweat even at higher temperatures
- PVC construction blocks germs from growing in the mat, thus preventing bacteria and odors, for a clear and natural smell; non-slip surface and the best choice for hot yoga practitioners
- Completely rubber-free for a neutral smell; beneficial for those who are sensitive to latex brought about by contact with rubber
- Measurements of 68” x 24” x 5mm; the whole mat weighs in at just around 4.25 lbs., making it ideal to travel around with easily
- Thicker 5mm cushions and supports your joints, making it an ideal choice for older people and those with sensitive joint problems
- Lightweight and durable, made with the highest quality any premium brand can offer; comes with a lifetime guarantee
- Provides better grip as you sweat more, making it the perfect companion for yogis who value stability above everything else
- Comes in three basic colors (blue, black and purple) with the mandala design that signifies long life
Incredibly well-suited to the most demanding and taxing hot yoga activities ever thought of, the Sol Dry-Grip Yoga Mat places a priceless value on the strength of its grip. If it has a mission, that mission is for it to give you the best possible grip attainable for your peace of mind during the most complicated poses and under the hardest of duress, while still being functional enough for other less demanding purposes.
In that particular mission, you will be happy to know that the Sol Dry-Grip Yoga Mat meets great and uninhibited success.
Contrary to other popular brands on the market, and for the spirit of innovation itself, the Sol Dry-Grip Yoga Mat uses a PVC backing for its mat. No, it’s not as natural as rubber, but it does a better job in terms of rubber’s purposes, while still being nature friendly enough that you can still take pride in owning one.
Furthermore, it’s latex-free, which is great for those who are sensitive to rubber because of their content percentages of them. The Sol Dry-Grip Yoga Mat is also free from six of the most harmful phthalates on the planet: DEHP, DBP, BBP, DINP, DIDP, and DNOP phthalates, which can sometimes be present in seemingly harmless rubber yoga mats.
The topcoat of the Sol Dry-Grip Yoga Mat is moisture deterrent, meaning that instead of absorbing moisture and breeding bacteria, which causes foul odors, it actually wicks moisture away, while still maintaining a degree of functional slip-resistance. It’s also thicker than most yoga mats, though it weighs the same as them.
This means that it is an ideal choice for beginners and people with joint problems, as the extra cushioning means more space between you and the floor. The Sol Dry-Grip Yoga Mat successfully promotes well-being on a level that doesn’t call for a need to sacrifice comfort for stability and functionality; it blends them together in a cocktail of a mat that offers so much in terms of versatility.
Most of the problems associated with the Sol Dry-Grip Yoga Mat seem to be isolated cases that stemmed from lack of great quality control and assurance, rather than poor production overall. These problems range from the topcoat separating from the base rather quickly, and tearing in some places.
Take all these with a grain of salt though, as some reviews can tend to be misleading. Poor care for the mat can also cause these problems, so be sure to read the proper care and maintenance instructions to get the most out of your mat.
Overall, the Sol Dry-Grip Yoga Mat is one of the best mats on the market today in terms of the stability and grip it can offer. It’s made with the heavier sweat producer in mind, and if you are a hot yoga practitioner, then you could be looking at this as your studio partner for the rest of your practice.
Just bear in mind that like anything else, the mat requires the proper care it deserves in order to serve you in the best way possible.